Sunday, March 22, 2009

I *heart* The Enneagram

And you should too. Just TRUST me. :)

About 2 years ago I was introduced to The Enneagram. Unlike other personality 'tests', it is fluid and all-encompassing of you as a person. Imagine a rainbow, with differing hues....your personality, mind, heart, gut, passions, etc......stretching out like an amoeba, in the Big Circle (no, Im not New Age..lol). When you are doing healthy, you the amoeba moves this-a-way; when unhealthy it moves that-a-way. As you grow and mature, you the amoeba moves again. You are constantly changing. You dont stay the same, and if you do, quite likely you are dead, in a mental hospital, or stagnant and lifeless.

The Enneagram is a spiritual tool from a looooong time ago. I am not 100% clear on the history, and there are differing opinions on the matter so Im going to gloss over that for now. I am studying it though.

What I can say is the weaknesses or portions of my personality that others have often scruntinized, judged, or otherwise frowned upon, now sit AOK with me. The Enneagram validated much for me. I am not longer ashamed of my personality or quirks, or even my passionate or sensual side. In short, understanding myself with the tool of The Enneagram, has healed me, and is aiding me in overcoming. I suppose my brain needed something concrete to bridge about who God says I am, with the everyday actualness of what I see in myself.

I am not very good at describing the point I desire to impress upon you about how completely nifty The Enneagram is. But, Id like to include a FREE link to take the test to see what "type" you are....there will be a description afterward about your type. Once you know your type you can google that and find even more info, depthwise, on yoru type. Just remember no 'type' fits into a box. We all have a little bit of the 9 types within us, though one usually dominates and therein you can someitmes locate your underlying strugglesome areas. And not feel *guilty* about that knowledge, but ENCOURAGED. (the second shorter test on this page is fun, too. It helps you figure out your instinctual type, within your number type. "sexual' does not mean sexual here; it is moreso how you relate to others and yourself. It doesnt mean you are a harlot or gigolo at heart....lol!)

http://www.eclecticenergies.com/enneagram/test.php

Oh, how I *heart* the Enneagram.

In one of my future posts, after a few have taken the test, I will put up my type, and yak on about what knowing this has done for me. :)

6 comments:

Mary said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
authenticallyme said...

Oh boogers, it looks like no one else is up for the challenge. LOL. Anyway, Civilla, I am ALSO a type 4, very strong in the Type 4....when I first took the test 2 years ago, I had a 5 wing, but the last two times I took various tests, I was showing equal wings between 3 and 5. 4's are big time analyzers/observers, but 5's are even moreso....so im kinda glad my wings are 'balancing out'...i was so in my head!

I have found being a Type 4, the tragic romantic, the individualist, the creative artist....difficult at times. But also very rewarding. I feel like I really understand myself better, and why i "tick" the way I do.

Thank you for the book suggestions; I will look into some of those!

Mary said...

Oh, so you are a 4, too!

Cheri said...

Wow! Let the 4's unite! I just took the test, sorry, I was too busy overextending myself this past week to read blogs!LOL! My result was 4w5. Very interesting. I made my husband take it, just to see if it seemed as accurate for him as it was for me. It was, he was an 8. I am going to check out some of the books Civilla recommended. Thanks AM, this was fun. I am looking forward to learning more!

Cheri said...

I was just thinking that the only other "personality" books I have read is the Birth Order Book. I am a middle child, and that book was so accurate.

I also just took a "Which woman of the bible are you like" quiz on Facebook. Do these results sound like a 4??LOL


Cheri took Which mighty woman of the Bible are you most like? quiz and the result is You are most like RUTH
You are fiercely loyal to family & friends. You have a heart of compassion, especially for those you feel may be lonely or left out. You are servant-oriented, and very self-sacrificing when you need to be. You also have a teachable spirit that will listen to instruction.


Just wanted to share that!

authenticallyme said...

Cheri, that was cool!

I also have always wanted to read the Birth Order Book. Im either out of time or money so book reading has fell to the wayside recently.

Thatr is funny that your husband is an 8. So is mine. I once read a 'comparison/relationship' article on The Enneagram, and it said a 4 and 8 relationship can be the most volatile. LOL. My husband would agree that we have had a very tumultous (sp?) relationship, and that we both have too much passion than is good for two people to have!

It is interesting stuff. The more I understand myself, the more I can become vulnerable to God and others. I also am lighter on myself for being human lately, too. :)