Sunday, November 9, 2008

"Little Bunny Foo-Foo....."

aint lying in the forest......he is 15 miles away at Quakertown Vet Clinic, where I took him at 11pm tonight.

A few weeks ago, I acted impulsively. I walked into a pet store nearby, to purchase bedding for my girls 3 hamsters.......and walked by a lonesome bunny. I know he was lonesome....and he needed me. He was $28.99, which was too expensive. I walked out with him anyway. No cage, no food. Nothing but a feeling of peace...that it would all work out.

And, it did. Within 3 hours I had a cage, and approximately 6 hours later had not only a water bottle and hay, but the real good bunny food....with alfapha and stuff. I sometimes wonder if people feel sorry for me....free stuff just rolls my way. Anyway, when i know if this bunny has a girly-part or a boy-part, Ill name it. For now, its just "bunny". He loves me and I love him. He was chosen, and I told my girls RIGHT AWAY that bunny is *my* pet. I love to watch the bunnies and squirrels outside my home. Little things delight me.......nature awes me. If they sold squirrels at the pet store, heck, Id have them too.

Fast forward to 3 days ago. Returned to same pet store, this time for more bunny food. Oh no....another lonesome bunny. No other bunnies to see, or play with. Then I think about Bunny #1, and what a wretched, completely wretched life it will be for him to NEVER see in any way, shape, or form, any living creature that is like him......a bunny. So, I walk out with another bunny.

So sweet....the girl at the store had a difficult time retrieving the rabbit as it was skiddish and shy....kicking and scratching.......but, first time I held it, it closed its eyes.....and rested in my arms.......plus it was the same color as the wild rabbits I see outside, 'bunny' brown.....we were in love.

But, little guy (or girl) hasnt eaten well, or been using the potty..I figured it was stress, from being moved about so much in recent weeks...as I learned (the hard way) happens to hamsters. But, apparently, he was sick when I purchased him, says the vet tonight....and will probably die. I cried.

Yeah, cried. For a minute I thought, "Your family and friends, not to mention any onlookers, would think you've lost it...its a freaking RABBIT." But he was MY rabbit. I CHOSE him. and within 2 minutes, I LOVED him. The cats....the hamsters........yeah yeah, they're nice and all. But *I* picked this bunny...I love Bunny #1, too.....he is sweet.....but this bunny was docile, peaceful, timid. He was the kind you want to take care of, protect. And now he is lethargic, sick, dying.

So I thought about why on earth would I spend that kind of money, that late on a sunday night, 30 miles away from home?.....why?because the bunny had life, and I loved watching its life. There is something about life, for me, in that particular rabbit. I cant even really figure it out. I just wanted to be close to it, and watch it live its life.....enjoy life, and learn about life. I have learned so much about LIFE through children, and animals. And when something befalls my little ones in whom I watch life through, it hurts........I wonder if God similarly looks at us this way.

I am glad I got to enjoy that rabbit the last 3 days....maybe I will, once again, learn more about LIFE than I bargained for.

13 comments:

Mary said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alaska said...

Aaawwww... I'm a sucker for animals, too. And I do so love bunnies... :)

Mother of Dog said...

I just wanted to drop in here to tell you how inspirational I find you. Although I comment on Generation Cedar, I'm not around to stand up for liberalism or feminism or any ism - I believe that everyone needs to follow their own path. But I admire how you seek your own truth, even when it divides you from others. That shows a truly original mind and spirit.

You're clearly such a wonderful person!

MOD

(Also I love bunnies. I call myself a Cute-a-tarian, lol. I can't eat anything I might want to pet :)

authenticallyme said...

Thanks, MOD!

I must admit, I feel rather understood when people comment to me, like you just have.

I really enjoy the way you seek, and think as well. I can appreciate the art of untaintedly seeking, and resisting the temptation to 'bandwagon' jump.

Shyla said...

I popped over from Generation Cedar as well, and happened to notice on your profile page that your daughter is into the Twilight books and you are hoping to read them to find out what the deal is. I would encourage you to read them, and soon. A couple of good reviews from a "parent of a teenage daughter" perspective are at http://www.pluggedinonline.com/movies/movies/a0004361.cfm and
http://lightinearthenvessels.blogspot.com/2008/11/guarding-hearts-of-our-daughters.html

Just wanted to mention that :o)

Mother of Dog said...

I love the way you're fighting the good fight over there, AM - because I feel exactly the way you do. I have absolutely no issue with anyone's belief system - but the absolute sureness of the "Bible passage says I am right" of the dialogue is often hilarious!

Why do they get to pick and choose what the Bible says, after all? That isn't fair. If you're going to follow to the letter, then follow it. Jesus says he healed the sick, right? Well then - no doctors for all of you!

I salute you for putting your kids in school because I don't think there is any harm in them hearing dissenting opinions. They will know the right thing to do from your good home. I'm sure of it. :)

OneofHis said...

AM,

I'm a lurker, but just wanted to point out something concerning...I think I'm right that you are a christian?

"If the world hates you, you know that it hated me before it hated you. If you were of the worold, the world would love its own. Yet because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you." John 15:18-19

I'm just wondering, if we "mesh" better with unbelievers, how does this verse reconcile our faith?

authenticallyme said...

Hi OneOfHis......

I just re-read my post here, and didnt find where I said we should mesh better with unbelievers....maybe you can help me? I am not sure if your post was in reference to something I said in my blog here, or elsewhere?

I know the world hates us, but I read that as the spirit of the world. We are foreigners here. Not accepted. But, that doesnt mean I dont try to love all people, be there for anyone who asks. I dont think that is compromising my faith, but LIVING it! :)

Maybe you can clarify what exactly you were referencing?

OneofHis said...

AM,

I was referring to MOD's comment...I read Generation Cedar too, and it appears from her comment here that she "meshes" with you, as opposed to other believers...my point is that shouldn't that be a red flag?

It's obvious to see why MOD doesn't "understand" other Christians. The Bible predicts that. But her comment here to you is very disconcerting.

"Light has no fellowship with the darkness."

In other words, those who reject Christ do not understand (or like) those who have accepted Him. Just like they hated Jesus.

authenticallyme said...

OneOfHis,

Perhaps I am right to say you are possibly insinuating that *I* am not One Of His? I am. I know I am. I know it in the innermost part of my spirit.

The factt hat I wish to get along with all types of people, I feel is a gift. I dont always get along with all types of people. But when I do, it is a lovely thing. Jesus himself wasnt looking to be decisive. He wanted everyone. It was the PEOPLE who didnt want or feel like they needed Him....not the other way around, from how I understand it. I dont see at all how I am compromising my faith by finding mutual understanding with MOD. There will still be agreeing between unbelievers/believers on some subjects, and disagreements amongst Christians themselves. Thats life. I am not fear-filled because MOD happens to see somethings she likes in me. Why is it so concerning to you, I wonder?

***In other words, those who reject Christ do not understand (or like) those who have accepted Him. Just like they hated Jesus.***


You think its wrong if any unbeliever actually LIKES a believer? Or that 'something' must be wrong with the believer if an unbeliever admires traits in that person?

The verse you quoted isnt understood by me as quite so pinpointed. IMO, it isnt only speaking about people as lights and darknesses.

OneofHis said...

AM,

No, you are not hearing me.

**The fact that I wish to get along with all types of people, I feel is a gift.**

If YOU want to get along with people, that is a personality trait to be admired.

It is when blatant, anti-God, (loving the things that God hates) people feel a connection with YOU that is scary.

When that person says, "I feel exactly the way you do", I would seriously question my belief system...not calling your Christianity into faith, just asking you to consider carefully what Scripture says about how the lost will perceive us. (Not "lost" as in those who are are searching for truth and love, but those who adamantly reject Him).

If we love the Lord in a way that shines in our lives, we can be the sweetest, gentlest, humblest people in the world (wasn't our Lord?), and those who reject Him will still HATE us. They will not understand us, because they have been "blinded by the god of this age". It's not US...it's the spirit of darkness in them.

The lost and broken in the Bible who followed after Christ were the ones who longed for forgivemenss and He opened His arms to them, just as we should do. They were those called by the Father. but there were others, who reject Him and His love, and he never compromised to reach them. He let them go. And they hated him.

We are talking here about those who want no part of Christ identifiying themselves with another believer????

Something is amiss.

authenticallyme said...

Hi again OneOfHis,

Ok, I understand more clearly what you are getitng at.

***We are talking here about those who want no part of Christ identifiying themselves with another believer????***

I dont think MOD is completely identifying with me 100% on everything. Im sure if we spoke further, in detail, we may have some items we disagree on. But what is the point? Have you never had someone who is an unbeliever identifying with something about you? Have you never had anyone admire you, who themselves didnt believe in Jesus?

We could flip that as well. Have you never had a Christian NOT identify with you? Does that mean one of you is *not* really a Christian?

I am not as concerned over this. I dont see why something is amiss here. I admire traits in others who arent Christians. People have admired things about me without knowing I am a Christian. Correct me if I am wrong, but am I supposed to understand it as there must be comething wrong in the way I carry or present myself....because an unbeliever likes me (instead of hates me? Or hates the God part that is Inside and Of me?)? It isnt healthy for me to pick myself apart and forever judge and examine myself in that manner. Im a former judg-a-holic, and it is better for me to just live life, and not get hung up on details of the *why* of someone taking to my personality. This is regurgitating that old toxic feeling in my soul.

Mother of Dog said...

If I understand you correctly, if someone is a "real" Christian, OneofHis, then a non-believer like myself - uh, should hate them? Interesting, because I don't hate anyone. And I have some strong Christian friends. Shocking, huh? I love them. Their faith is their own. I "mesh" with many believers.

It's obvious why I don't understand other Christians? Oh, I understand. What I don't understand - what I find stunning - is that YOU call yourself a Christian while flinging mud. That YOU are a follower of a man who embraced everyone, who washed the feet of the poor and the sick, who held a prostitute as great as a queen. I think you should be ashamed to talk to Authenticallyme in this way. She is clearly a Christian as she has an open heart to all God's creatures. She moves me with her honesty and her grace. That's all there is to it.

I think you should pray for forgiveness for how narrow-minded, petty and unChristian you reveal yourself to be. I think you should offer an apology to everyone you've wronged with your sinful attitude and your holier-than-thou nastiness.

Then maybe you'll have the right to call yourself a Christian. Maybe.